Saturday, January 23, 2010

SUJEE FRUIT CAKE FOR A FRIEND FROM CANADA.





I baked this sujee(semolina) fruit cake for an old friend of mine, Padmini, who is here on a holiday to visit her family. She migrated to Canada about 20 years ago (wow! that makes me feel old~!) because her husband is based there. We were childhood friends and we still keep in touch through emails. I know my friend loves to eat fruit cakes, so I baked one for her to have for tea. This cake was really moist and the addition of semolina and almond nibs added a subtle crunch to it. My friend and I nearly polished off the whole cake as we became nostalgic and start to reminisce the memories of yesteryears. I also made a big pot of refreshing Darjeeling tea and the steaming hot tea paired very well with the fruit cake. I have tried many fruit cake recipes before but most of them did not meet with my expectations; they were either too dry or the mixed fruits sank to the bottom. However this recipe is not dry and the fruits were evenly distributed. This cake is included in our 3 tier wedding cake class and our students will be given the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment