Saturday, July 24, 2010

ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION CAKES FOR MY NIECE AT NORTHAM HOTEL, 24th JULY 2010

These cakes were made for my nieces's first anniversary celebration function on 24th July. The function was held at Northam Hotel and attended by nearly 100 guests. It was a grand affair and the buffet dinner spread was really huge as there were quite a large variety of food on the banquet table.Most of the guests started arriving around eight and I managed to get there only at 8.30pm. Our Hari Raya Cakes class was held on that day and class ended around 5pm and in my hurry to wrap up the class, I forgot about taking pictures of the class.Anyway, coming back to the function, the cakes were suppose to be a suprise for my niece and her husband. So I had to go inside the hotel's kitchen to add some last minute touch up on the cakes. The first tier was a huge 10inch 2-layered Chocolate Fudge cake, weighing nearly 4 kilos. The two shades of hand-made gumpaste rose bouquet placed on top of the cake added a touch of romance.The second tier was also a 10inch New York Cheesecake topped with strawberries and strawberry coulis. The top tier cake had hearts exploding from the cake. As the waiters slowly wheeled the cakes to the reception centre, lights were switched off to add an element of suprise to the couple. To my niece Parveen and her husband Nazim, we wish both of you a very happy first anniversary and may you have more of them in years to come.

Note: a good friend and a fellow blogger informed me today that the sugarpaste flowers sold in baking supply shops are not 'halal'as the gelatin used to make the sugarpaste is not 'halal'. Most of these flowers are imported from the Philippines and Indonesia and deemed not 'halal'. I'm glad that I've never used store bought sugar flowers in my cakes or my classes as I don't really like them. Sugar flowers used in PG CakeCraft are are painstakingly hand-made. In our fondant cake decorating classes, we teach our students to make gumpaste flowers rather than using artificial looking store bought flowers. To those who order cakes, please be aware of this fact and request for hand-made flowers.





No comments:

Post a Comment